Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pulling Out the Weeds

I am an incredibly visual person.  I am also a fairly exact person.  It's these characteristics that I believe have lead me to struggle with a statement I read today.  Given, the entirety of the document I read didn't compel the reaction, or even the supposition, I had to this one statement, still I struggled with it.  This statement proposed submission was analogous to presenting to one's Master/Dom an empty chalice or a blank canvas. While I understand each person's perspective is valid, and I am probably being hyper-critical in my evaluation of this statement, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. My main issue with the analogy being that if one is empty or blank, what does one have to submit?

I see submission differently.  Or, at least, I have a totally different feeling about submission than what the above imagery evoked in me. I see submission as something strong, and full and powerful and the emptying or offering of that to someone else. Pouring out yourself for someone else.  And, of course, I'm not saying this person doesn't have the view that submission is strong and full and powerful.  Actually, the imagery the person used to describe their view of submission was really quite beautiful.  I just couldn't get past the initial image that I saw when I read empty chalice, blank canvas.

I have somewhat sorted this out while writing about it.  It's not about any one person's specific view or opinion of what is or is not submission.  How many times have I been reminded or encouraged that the dynamic is what you want to make of it?  What fits you?  Multi-faceted and multi-dimensional.

The real issue for me today was that I allowed one statement (out of a beautifully written piece on submission) to rock my world a bit because how I interpreted it didn't align with how I see the thing.  I suppose I am still struggling as to whether this is real in me and one seemingly contradictory statement from a person experienced in her journey was enough to throw me off kilter. Wow. However many things I have read that affirmed, "Yes, that is how I feel," or, "Yes, that is me," I still let one statement (taken out of its context) throw that seed of doubt that took root for a bit today.

Whew! I feel better about getting rid of that one. So, I've changed the title of this post from What is Submission? to what it is now.  Because that is really what happened isn't it?

And...if I sounded critical of the other person's view, that was so not my intention.  Just trying to sort things out.


(¯`·._.·(¯`·._.·(¯`·._.· What do you think? ·._.·´¯)·._.·´¯)·._.·´¯)

3 comments:

  1. Poured

    I think you are on the wrong track. Submission is strong and powerful. It is a gift you present to your Master/Dom, not a blank slate. Continuing good luck on your journey.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bad. I meant to say you are on the right track. Sorry

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assumed that's what you meant. Although, I'll admit my heart almost dropped to my stomach when I first read it.

    Thanks you for clarifying.

    ReplyDelete